The Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors’ National Association (SMACNA) has introduced a mobile “app” designed to allow contractors, engineers, architects, and designers to estimate the leakage of air from ductwork easily and accurately.
Users can combine multiple sections of ductwork that vary by size and shape to calculate total allowable leakage.
The application uses methodology and provides applicable leakage classes from the latest edition of SMACNA’s HVAC Air Duct Leakage Test Manual. The method complies with ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1, Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings; the International Energy Conservation Code; International Green Construction Code Version 2; the International Mechanical Code; and the Uniform Mechanical Code.
To download the app:
• Scan the mobile tag (QR code).
• Download the app from the iTunes store.
• Visit the SMACNA Website.
To scan a mobile tag:
• Download a QR-code-reader app onto your device.
• Point to the tag with your device, and snap a picture.
• Your device will decode the tag and direct you to the programmed Website.