Thirty-six people were recognized by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) for their contributions to the society as well as the building industry during ASHRAE’s 2011 Winter Conference, held Jan. 29 to Feb. 2 in Las Vegas.
The F. Paul Anderson Award is awarded for notable achievement of outstanding services performed in the HVACR field. This year’s recipient was Presidential Member Richard P. Perry, P.Eng, FASHRAE, Life Member, senior engineer, emeritus, of DEC Design Mechanical Consultants Ltd. in New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada.
The 50-Year Member Award is given to persons who have been a member of ASHRAE for 50 years and performed outstanding service to ASHRAE or its predecessor societies. This year’s recipient was Richard Wright, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, who resides in Algood, Tenn.
Fellow ASHRAE is a membership grade that recognizes distinction in the arts and sciences of environmental technology and is earned through achievement as a researcher, designer, educator, or engineering executive. ASHRAE elevated 13 of its members to the grade of Fellow ASHRAE:
- Walid Chakroun, PhD, is a professor in the mechanical-engineering department at Kuwait University in Safat, Kuwait.
- James Cummings is the program director at Florida Solar Energy Center in Cocoa, Fla.
- J. Eduardo Donoso is the president of Ing. Eduardo Donoso E Hijos C. Ltd. in Quayaquil, Guayas, Ecuador.
- Chad Dorgan, PhD, PE, is the vice president of quality and sustainability at McCarthy Building Companies Inc. in St. Louis, Mo.
- Presidential Member Damon Gowan, Life Member, is a retired president and chief executive officer of EMCOR-Gowan, Inc. in Houston, Texas.
- Gershon Grossman, Sc.D., is a professor of mechanical engineering at Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, Israel.
- Jaap Hogeling is the manager of international projects and ISSO standards at Dutch Building Services Research Institute and managing director of KBI: Dutch Quality Assurance Institute for Building Services in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
- Russ Keeler, PE, is principal of Chason Energy in Golden, Colo.
- Ravindra Kulkarni Sr. is owner/proprietor of R.S. Kulkarni, HVACR Consultants in Pune, India.
- Cesar Luis Lim, PME, is a partner and the business development officer at Kilojoule Consultants International Co. in Paranaque, Philippines.
- Aphichit Lumlertpongpana, PhD, is the managing director at I.T.C. Co. Ltd. in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Hugh McMillan III is a mechanical-plumbing-engineering coordinator at Becht Engineering Co. Inc. in Cypress, Texas.
- Farooq Mehboob, Life Member, is the principal consultant at S. Mehboob & Co. in Karachi, Pakistan.
ASHRAE Technology Awards recognize outstanding achievements by members who have successfully applied innovative building designs that incorporate ASHRAE standards for effective energy management and indoor-air quality.
Four projects received first-place ASHRAE Technology Awards:
- Amit Khanna, from ARUP in San Francisco, Calif., in the new-institutional-buildings category for the Jerry Yang and Akiko Yamazaki Environment and Energy Building, Stanford University, Palo Alto, Calif. The building owner is Stanford University.
- Gilles Desmaris, from Dessau in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, in the existing-health-care-facilities category for the Pierre-Boucher Hospital in Longueuil, Quebec, Canada. The building is government-owned and managed by CSSS Pierre-Boucher.
- Yury Lui and Chalres Eggert, from HP Mission Critical Services in Chicago, Ill., in the new-public-assembly category for the Jewish Reconstructionist Congregation in Evanston, Ill. The building is owned by the congregation.
- Peter H. Rumsey, PE, FASHRAE, from Integral Group in Oakland, Calif., in the new-commercial-buildings category for the David Brower Center in Berkeley, Calif. The project was developed by Equity Community Builders.
The ASHRAE Student Design Project Competition challenged teams of students to create an integrated sustainable building design as well as select and design HVACR systems for the Ginsburg Tower, a 15-story patient tower, at Florida Hospital in Orlando, Fla.
First place in HVAC System Design was awarded to Michael Angell, Nathaniel Boyd, Edward Gillett, Trong Nguyen, and Justin Wiese of University of Central Florida in Orlando, Fla. First place in HVAC System Selection was awarded to Zac Buckmiller, Matt Kolins, Todd Kuno, Jared Palan, Nicole Vogt, and Joel Wheeler of Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kan. First place in the Integrated Sustainable Building Design was awarded to Carolyn Lamb, Ryland Phelps, and Amy Rose Keyzer of Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, Mich.
The John F. James International Award is given to an ASHRAE member who has done the most to enhance ASHRAE’s international presence. This year’s recipient was Yuan-Wei Wu, chief engineer of the Chinese Association of Refrigeration in Beijing, China.
The E.K. Campbell Award honors outstanding achievements by engineering educators and is presented by the ASHRAE Life Members Club. This year’s recipient was William Ryan, PhD, PE, director of the Masters of Energy Engineering Program in the Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department at the University of Illinois at Chicago.