| Publication Date for High-Performance Building Standard Draws Near |
|The total building-sustainability package, addressing everything from design and commissioning to plans for high-performance operation, is covered in a proposed green-building standard currently open for public review. Proposed Standard 189.1, Standard for the Design of High Performance, Green Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings, is being developed by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) in conjunction with the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) and the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). The standard is slated to be the first code-intended commercial-green-building standard in the United States. It is expected to be published in early 2010. [More] |
| European and Mediterranean Energy Efficiency & Climate Change Forum Announced |
|Johnson Controls Inc. and The Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation have announced the creation of a European and Mediterranean Energy Efficiency & Climate Change Forum. The event will be hosted in Monaco in April 2010 and will focus on a range of energy efficiency and policy issues with the goal of elevating awareness and accelerating action on implementing energy-efficiency programs to slow climate change. [More] |
| ASHRAE Learning Institute Offers New Professional-Development Seminar |
|One third of the energy consumed by buildings in the United States has the potential to be conserved. To equip engineers with the knowledge to stop this energy loss, a new full-day professional-development seminar (PDS), “Energy Management in New and Existing Buildings: A Sustainable Activity,” will be offered as part of the ASHRAE Learning Institute at the 2010 Winter Conference. [More] |
| New Global Chiller Group Formed |
|The formation of a new global chiller engineering and manufacturing group in Montreal has been announced. Gaetan Morin, executive vice-president of investments of the FTQ Solidarity Fund of Montreal, and Roger Richmond-Smith, chairman of the new Smardt Chiller Group, disclosed an FTQ minority investment of $15 million in the new entity, which merges the Australian PowerPax chiller business with its North American Smardt sister company and expands distribution offshore. [More] |
The Grundfos Pump Handbook
The Grundfos Pump Handbook was developed for engineers and technicians who work with design and the installation of pumps and pumping systems in their daily work. This handbook includes answers to a wide range of technical questions. Chapter topics include: Design of Pumps and Motors, Installation and Performance Reading, System Hydraulics, Performance Adjustment of Pumps, and Life Cycle Costs Calculation. Don’t miss out on this useful tool! To order your free copy, please visit www. grundfos.com/cbs.
| Contact information: Megan White, HPAC Engineering |
Thank you for reading HPAC Engineering's Engineering Green Buildings e-newsletter.
You've received this e-newsletter for one of three reasons:
1) You signed up for it on the HPAC Engineering Website.
2) You received the HPAC Fastrack e-newsletter in the past.
3) You identified yourself as a reader of HPAC Engineering magazine.
Manage Your Subscription
To subscribe: Subscribe
To unsubscribe: Unsubscribe
To change your e-mail address:
Send an email to change, and include your old address, as well as your new address.
2009 Penton Media, Inc. All rights reserved.
| ||October 21, 2009 |
| Optimizing Boiler-System Efficiency |
By GARY WAMSLEY, PE, CEM, JoGar Energy Services, Alpharetta, Ga.
|Boiler-system efficiency is one of the most documented and published topics for plant engineers and utility managers in commercial and industrial facilities. Understandably, with gas and oil costs at $6 to $10 per million British thermal units of fuel energy value, boiler fuel can represent 30 to 50 percent of total energy budgets in plants with large thermal loads. Typically, fuel consumption accounts for 80 percent of the operating costs for a gas- or oil-fired steam plant. Labor, depreciation, maintenance, and water treatment account for the other 20 percent. Fuel optimization and stack-emissions reduction are crucial. [More] |