The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) installed new officers and directors during its 2007 Annual Meeting, held June 23-27 in Long Beach, Calif.
ASHRAE’s president for 2007-08 is Kent W. Peterson, PE, vice president and chief engineer of P2S Engineering Inc. of Long Beach. The theme for his term is "Greater Efficiency Today, Blue Skies Tomorrow."
"Energy efficiency should always be the elegant alternative to fuel consumption," Peterson said. As such, he is encouraging ASHRAE members to become more radical in their thinking, more daring in their creativity, and more dedicated to delivering innovative systems, methods, and technology in the quest for sustainability in the built environment.
Also installed for one-year terms were:
- President-Elect William A. Harrison, president, Trane Arkansas, Little Rock, Ark.
- Treasurer Gordon V.R. Holness, PE, chairman emeritus, Albert Kahn Associates Inc., Detroit.
- Vice President Lynn G. Bellenger, PE, partner, Pathfinder Engineers, Rochester, N.Y.
- Vice President Maureen Grasso, PhD, dean, Graduate School, University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
- Vice President Andrew Persily, PhD, group leader, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Md.
- Vice President Vincent Tse, managing director, Parsons Brinckerhoff (Asia), Hong Kong.
Installed for three-year terms were:
- Region IV Director and Regional Chair Ira Poston, northern-region business-relations manager, Duke Energy Carolinas, Burlington, N.C.
- Region V Director and Regional Chair Fred Betz, PE, manager, utility systems, PEDCo E&A Services, Cincinnati.
- Region VI Director and Regional Chair Robert Linder, PE, mechanical engineer, Karges-Faulconbridge Inc., St. Paul, Minn.
- Region XII Director and Regional Chair Ross Montgomery, PE, owner, Quality Systems and Technology Inc., Palmetto, Fla.
- Region XIII Director and Regional Chair Yie-Zu Robert Hu, PhD, deputy general director, Energy and Environment Research Laboratories, Industrial Technology Research Institute, Chutung, Hsinchu, Taiwan.
- Director-at-Large Constantinos A. Balaras, PhD, PE, research director, Institute for Environmental Research and Sustainable Development, National Observatory of Athens, Greece.
- Director-at-Large Richard Kelso, PhD, PE, retired president, Kelso-Regen Associates, Knoxville, Tenn., and professor, College of Architecture and Design, The University of Tennessee.
- Director-at-Large David Knebel, PE, vice president, sales and technology, AAON Inc., Tulsa, Okla.