Names the first female president in its 116-year history
The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) installed officers and directors during its 2010 Annual Meeting, held June 26-30 in Albuquerque, N.M.
The president for 2010-2011 is Lynn G. Bellenger, PE, FASHRAE, partner, Pathfinder Engineers & Architects, Rochester, N.Y.
Bellenger, who is the first female president in the Society's 116-year history, is an ASHRAE-certified Building Energy Modeling Professional and High Performance Building Design Professional. Her presidential theme is "Modeling a Sustainable World."
Bellenger believes that in energy simulation, daylight analysis, computational fluid dynamics, and building information modeling, we have powerful tools that enable us to create and refine our vision of a building—its appearance, systems, operation, and performance. Those resources, used effectively in an integrated design process for new buildings and in analyzing retrofit opportunities in existing buildings, will help us model a sustainable world.
"Our biggest challenge is implementing integrated design in daily practice," Bellenger said. "The traditional approach where the architect designs the building shape, orientation, and envelope and then transmits the drawings to the mechanical and electrical engineers for their design is a silo approach that misses the rich opportunities for optimizing building performance through a collaborative approach from the beginning. It is going to require a real cultural shift in our industry to transform the design process, and it's a shift that has to occur if we are going to reach our goal of net-zero-energy buildings."
Also installed for a one-year term were:
- President-Elect Ronald Jarnagin, staff scientist, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Wash.
- Treasurer Thomas Watson, PE, FASHRAE, chief engineer, McQuay International, Staunton, Va.
- Vice President William P. Bahnfleth, PhD, PE, FASHRAE, professor, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa.
- Vice President Sheila J. Hayter, PE, FASHRAE, senior engineer, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Lakewood, Colo.
- Vice President Ross D. Montgomery, PE, ASHRAE-certified Building Energy Modeling Professional and Commissioning Process Management Professional, owner, Quality Systems and Technology Inc., Palmetto, Fla.
- Vice President T. David Underwood, P.Eng., FASHRAE, ASHRAE-certified Commissioning Process Management Professional, retired president, Isotherm Engineering Ltd., Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Installed for a three-year term from 2010-2013 were:
- Region IV Director and Regional Chair T. Randall Jones, owner and president, The Chapman Co., Mount Pleasant, S.C.
- Region V Director and Regional Chair Ronald Millies Jr., PE, president, R.L. Millies & Associates Inc., Munster, Ind.
- Region VI Director and Regional Chair Tina M. Brueckner, project/application engineer, Johnson Controls Inc., Neenah, Wis.
- Region XII Director and Regional Chair William W. Malphus, branch manager, G.L. Spies Co., North Fort Myers, Fla.
- Region XIII Director and Regional Chair Wichai Laksanakorn, PE, FASHRAE, chairman, W. and Associates Groups, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Director-at-Large Hugh F. Crowther, vice president of engineering and chief engineer, McQuay International, Minneapolis.
- Director-at-Large Eckhard A. Groll, PhD, FASHRAE, professor of mechanical engineering and director of the Office of Professional Practice, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
- Director-at-Large Charles E. Gulledge III, PE, ASHRAE-certified High-Performance Building Design Professional, senior mechanical engineer, A.C. Corp., Greensboro, N.C.