Bahnfleth is the son of Donald R. Bahnfleth, who served as ASHRAE president in 1985-86. They are the first father and son to serve as ASHRAE president.
William P. “Bill” Bahnfleth, PhD, PE, a professor of architectural engineering and the director of the Indoor Environment Center at The Pennsylvania State University in University Park, Pa., and a longtime member of HPAC Engineering’s Editorial Advisory Board, is the new president of ASHRAE, installed during the society’s 2013 Annual Conference, held June 22-26 in Denver.
Bahnfleth’s presidential theme, “Shaping the Next,” focuses on engineers embracing their responsibility to make buildings safe, healthy, productive, and comfortable environments in harmony with nature. He believes engineers must develop themselves and transform their work—what they do, how they do it, and whom they do it with—by becoming more global in outlook, broader in scope, and more collaborative in approach.
Bahnfleth has conducted research on a wide range of topics, including ground-coupled heat transfer, variable-primary-flow chilled-water systems, measurement of stratified-chilled-water-storage-tank performance, optimization of diffusers for chilled-water storage tanks, measurement of tall-building envelope air leakage, and ultraviolet germicidal irradiation for air and surface disinfection in HVAC systems.
Bahnfleth is the son of Donald R. Bahnfleth, who served as ASHRAE president in 1985-86 (and HPAC Engineering editor and then editorial director from 1960 to 1971). They are the first father and son to serve as ASHRAE president in the society’s 119-year history.
Also installed for one-year terms were:
• President-Elect Thomas H. Phoenix, PE, principal and vice president, Moser Mayer Phoenix Associates, Greensboro, N.C.
• Treasurer T. David Underwood, P.Eng., Oakville, Ontario, Canada.
• Vice President Daniel C. Pettway, senior project manager, Hobbs and Associates, Norfolk, Va.
• Vice President Thomas E. Werkema, Knoxville, Tenn.
• Vice President Darryl K. Boyce, P.Eng., assistant vice president, facilities management and planning, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
• Vice President Bjarne W. Olesen, PhD, professor, Technical University of Denmark, Kongens Lyngby, Denmark.
Installed for three-year terms from 2013-2016 were:
• Region IV Director and Regional Chair M. Ginger Scoggins, PE, president, Engineered Designs, Cary, N.C.
• Region V Director and Regional Chair Richard A. Zbin, associate/senior designer, Tec Inc. Engineering and Design, Eastlake, Ohio.
• Region VI Director and Regional Chair Mark F. Miller, business-development engineer, Mestek Inc. – Airtherm Division, Oregon, Wis.
• Region XII Director and Regional Chair Jennifer A. Isenbeck, PE, facility engineer/manager, University of Tampa, Tampa, Fla.
• Region XIII Director and Regional Chair Edward K.C. Tsui, managing director, Intelligent Technologies Ltd., Hong Kong.
• Director at Large K. William “Bill” Dean, PE, facilities manager, National Research Council of Canada, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.
• Director at Large Julia A. Keen, PhD, PE, associate professor, architectural engineering and construction science, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kan.
• Director at Large Ben A. Leppard, PE, principal, Leppard Johnson and Associates, Tucker, Ga.